Thursday, December 8, 2011

Visual C++ 2010: Scope Of License

Early in the morning today while installing the MySQL client components I had to install Visual C++ 2010 runtime as a prerequisite to continue. No problem, set it to download via the installer itself (very convenient that) and once the install screen showed up I thought I’d give the EULA a bit of a go. Just for the heck of it. The scope of license section was actually quite interesting simply because of what I found to be one oddity.

2. Scope of License. The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. In doing so, you must comply with any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways. You may not

· disclose the results of any benchmark tests of the software to any third party without Microsoft’s prior written approval;”

Eh? I may not disclose the results of any benchmark tests without Microsoft’s approval? But why not??? I understand that Microsoft reserves all rights except my right to use the software but why can’t I perform a benchmark test without Big Brother’s approval?

Anyone know the answer to this one?

Edit – Some interesting posts related to this topic

Benchmarking is illegal says Microsoft

Microsoft Restricting Free Speech

Dangerous Terms: A Guide To EULAs

No comments:

Post a Comment